Friday, August 28, 2009

Use What You Have



Living in the Sandhills of North Carolina I have learned one thing about horticulture, use all the naturally growing plants and flowers to your advantage. I can't tell you how many different plants and flowers I have planted and the weather or insects have destroyed them. It is very dry here, hence the name Sandhills and the Fire Ants run rampant. Our soil is mostly sand and clay. This is very difficult for me coming from New Jersey, the Garden State. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love it here, but I can see why I don't see too many people with a lot of flowers.
It came to me last year that the best thing to do was to try and use what's already here and growing wild. Out in the pasture we have a bunch of different colors of flowers or weeds that grow at different times. I have been using that to my advantage and replanting them. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The wild flower above did work. I have no idea its name, but I found it last year and transplanted a bunch near the house. This year it bloomed. I have given up trying to "add" new flowers because of the heat and dryness, but by doing so I discovered a whole new world.*♥ ♥*¨¨*♥ ♥*¨¨*♥ ♥*¨

4 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

That flower is beautiful. Sometimes going with the flow works - for people too!

Terry¨*♥ ♥**♥ ♥*¨¨*♥ ♥*¨¨*♥ said...

Thank you chatty, nice to see you again. It is so much easier to embrace, rather than try to change things :)

Beedeebabee said...

Hiya Terry! That sure is a beautiful flower! Such a pretty color. I've never seen that one before. Maybe you can try some Queen Anne's Lace. I know it's just a weed, (I like the word "wildflower" better). I love it, and it seems to do well during our dry spells. When my cousin got married, her bouquet was made of little pink sweetheart roses, queen anne's lace, and ivy. It was the prettiest bouquet I'd ever seen! Is it native to your area??? Hugs, Paulette :o)

Terry¨*♥ ♥**♥ ♥*¨¨*♥ ♥*¨¨*♥ said...

Hi paulette. I'm not sure if it is but i will look xoxoxox so glad you stopped by