Monday, November 30, 2009

Sadie my Savior


I have a story to tell you, but first, I hope you all remember Sadie. We got Sadie from a man who had saved a litter of black labs. We weren't really looking for a large dog, we had recently lost our other black lab, Ginger, but Sadie found us. She has been here for about two months I think and still fitting in with the yorkies. They are a little leery of each other, really the yorkies, but I am working it slowly. This is how the story begins...
I Had decided to put sadie on a leash in the back yard and then let the yorkies out so they could all be together , yet I would have control of Sadie. I had been doing this for a while now and things were progressing well. Today I did the same, with Sadie on the leash we all visited outside. This day was a bit different,  the horses came down to the fence to see us and the craziness began. I still had Sadie on the leash and the yorkies were barking up a storm, so far so good, until the horses began to run. Sadie was new to seeing horses and I'm not sure if she had seen them bolt like that, but I know I never had a leash on her at the time. Anyways she jerked so hard she turned me sideways and twisted my knee. Before I knew it I was on the ground.
So there I was...wind knocked out of me and twisted knee. I had hurt my knee recently and was getting therapy for it, so this was not good. I was surprised at first and assessing the situation, when I realized Sadie was right by my side almost hugging me and very worried. I had left the leash go and she was still right there. This is the first time anything like this has happened to me. I have heard stories about it, but never experienced it first hand. She was guarding me, she knew I was hurt and she was staying right there until I did something. I was kind of stuck because I was out in the yard and had nothing to help me up, putting weight on the knee was almost out of the question, but what choice did I have? So I decided to try. Do you know that wonderful dog came right next to me and let me lean on her to get up! She stood there steady as can be and let me put all my weight on her to get up. If she had not helped me I would have been out there for a while.  I was so amazed I went to the deck and sat down and hugged her for a long time. She in turn licked my face. I will never forget this day and I am so blessed to have experienced this and to have Sadie. Oddest thing was, I wasn't sure if she was happy here...funny how things happen.

2 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

You saved her and now she is returning the favor. She loves you.

Terry¨*♥ ♥**♥ ♥*¨¨*♥ ♥*¨¨*♥ said...

She is so wonderful. I will never forget that day. Animals are so loving.