Sunday, August 16, 2009

Itsy Bitsy Spider.......


The spider species Argiope aurantia is commonly known as the Black and Yellow Garden Spider, Writing Spider, Banana Spider or Corn Spider. It is common to the lower 48 of the United States, Hawaii, southern Canada, Mexico, and Central America. They have distinctive yellow and black markings on their abdomens and a mostly white cephalothorax. Males range from 5 to 9 mm; females from 19 to 28 mm. Like other members of Argiope they are considered harmless to humans.
All righty then. LOL. thank God they are harmless, because they live on my house and front porch. I usually wisk away any spiders and their webs from the area with a broom, but these I keep. They eat every other bug in sight, so I let them be the spider guards. When I first came across them I have to admit, I freaked out. These two are females, which are quite a bit bigger than the males. Right now I think they are about 5 inches long. The females like to stay in one spot for a long time and I can vouch for that because i have one out on my pool fence since we opened the pool. The eggs these spiders lay contain 100's of babies, I know I saw one sac smooshed and they all ran. But the most incredible sight is the web. It's nearly impossible to get a pic of it in daylight because they put the most elaborate one out at night. It is like a silk and spun very intricately. So here are two more critters to add to our group. I don't think I'll name these lol. *♥ ♥*¨¨*♥ ♥*¨¨*♥ ♥*¨

2 comments:

Fotf said...

Wow i believe they found one of these at our local Asda and the babies in a banana box, apparently there was a huge amount of screaming going on and i guess i might have ran away should i have spotted it. Not sure what they did and as we're in England i imagine no one knew what it was. Thanks for following :-)

Terry¨*♥ ♥**♥ ♥*¨¨*♥ ♥*¨¨*♥ said...

Your welcome for the following. I enjoy your blog. Aren't these some eeky creatures. You have to admit they are cool looking though. We have them all over our property. Let them eat bugs I say lol. Ty for visiting:)